Saturday, April 25, 2009

Beatrice "Bea" Arthur (May 13, 1922 – April 25, 2009)

Bea Arthur died today. After a lovely brunch with dear friends and a lazy afternoon in Central Park I was told that she had passed.

Bea has been on my mind lately. Recently uncovering the Sniff, Swig, Puff video on You Tube I had a Bea infusion. Finding funny pictures of her and rewatching her and Angela Lansbury performing Bosom Buddies at the Tony's.

I don't even know where to start. She was the character actress's actress. The scene stealer, the slow turn master, the one that always had the last word. Genius, poetry in motion every actress should wish to have a career that might even resemble her body of work. As much as I loved Mame it was her Vera Charles that brought the smart, witty one liners to their crispiness.

She was the voice of the new American woman in the work force who pushed the glass ceiling, broke it and looked forward beyond it's constraints. Maude gave a voice to a female movement that I proudly stand upon. My voice is louder and funnier because of her being. A TV and Broadway legend we all live in a shadow of humor and talent that will not be forgotten.

She lived. She worked. She made us all laugh and forget our own pain. Showing our flaws and our strengths with grace and timing.

The power is in the pause. I hope that is her epitaph. Thank you Bea. Tell my mother I love her and make sure you and Estelle do shots at the gate.

You made your mark and we will not forget. Not ever.
And then there's Bea.
All my love,
-brandy

No comments: