Monday, November 19, 2007

My 2 Cents...

I just went through my penny drawer and I have decided that I love them....flipping through the dates is like a tiny time machine and my mind tries to think of all the places these little guys have been...I just get all I don't know wide eyed to think of what their "lifespan" is like...

To try and capture it on film would be a documentary endeavor beyond my scope, so I might have to just imagine a fictitious journey and try to get it down on paper. This week I found some gems. A 1944 copper head with an alternate back that says One Cent, a 1959 and some from the 70’s that remind me of being a kid, a few 80’s but not many, probably because Reagan couldn’t be bothered to print the poor little bastards, and then pristine copper ones from the late 90’s into the 00’s.

However, it’s the ’44 and ’59 that really spark my imagination. They’ve been around longer than my parents were, they will probably be in pockets long after I’m gone and no one will ever be able to even fathom the distances they’ve travels or articles they’ve purchased. Were they someone’s lucky penny? Did they live for a decade in a loafer? Spend time in a bubble gum machine? Kept someone from going hungry? Probably all of the above and then some.

Flat Abe is regal and yet so tiny. His profile doesn’t change not even if the coin is well worn. He’s timeless and calm at his seat always looking to the right as if he’s trying to see if the train is coming. Sometimes when I see him lying in the street I leave him there, hoping that some child might be overjoyed to find him. Day dreaming of Abe’s unfolding adventure gives me more delicious respite then if I tossed him up into my change valet. Sure he would have a grand time visiting with old friends but I usually just simply nod and pay my respects and wish him a safe journey, but that’s only if he’s face up.

To Be Continued....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm that child...overjoyed to find flat Abe and make him mine.