Thursday, November 1, 2007

When your friends start turning 40….don’t panic!

Recently I have had some dear friends turn 40. Realizing not unlike Sally Albright (aka Meg Ryan) that I will too turn forty, “someday”! However, to me it doesn’t seem like the big dead end that caused said starlet to shed tears in 1989. I myself have turn 25 & 30 more times than most, but age is not what it used to be.

My southern roots oblige me never to reveal my true age because that would not be lady like, and frankly when you’re in show business such a revelation can be a speed bump in the ever growing youth culture market. Youth obsession is getting well…old.

I watch young people on my way to work; they are like aliens that when grouped in packs speak a language that I can barely decipher. They are shortening the English language into what is almost comparable to that African Clicking sound. Totally has become Totes, Whatever has become Whatev, things are getting so fast that they barely have time to articulate. Unfortunately, like is still alive and well and will probably be the only word they don’t deteriorate. My point is this there is no value in being young, other than being young. My mother used to say you are as old as you feel, and frankly I look at the wide spectrum of my friends whose ages range from 22 to 60 and on the average I’m thinking I will hang at 32 for awhile.

Last night I was out for Halloween, I was dressed as the Fuzzy Crippled Pumpkin Girl Avenger of all Squash! I was accompanied by Hot Slut Harmionie, a Flapper, Saucy Pirate Queen, Popeye & a Pretty Kitty. Clearly friends from the 20something range…Pretty Kitty looked at me and asked how old I was, I told her, she was “Like” no way! I thought you were 24 maybe 25!!!

I am a burning vision of timeless youth. An eternal Pan sans flute.

Ponce del Eon thought it came in a fountain when really it just comes from within, silly Spaniard. As time marches on I continue to hold my own with people who are a decade younger than me...so you see, I am not getting any older anytime soon, time is my bitch and I will have my way with her. I suggest you do the same.

1 comment:

Vickie said...

What about when your friends start turning 60 Missy???? What's in it for us???? (: