Friday, October 22, 2010

Baby Leg: The Unending Saga....

3 years ago I had surgery on my left leg for plantar fasciitis or "heel spur syndrome". What a mistake that was, the syndrome itself is gone but my heel won't heal. One of the incision sites still leaks and is tender. Unfortunately the right leg is now consumed with the same malady which reaches up into my right hip. So in yet another attempt to be pain free I am seeing Dr. Sheskier on Monday.

He offers a non-surgical treatment option for patients with plantar fasciitis that has not responded to conservative therapy. The majority of patients with plantar fasciitis will be cured within 2-3 months of therapy consisting of physical therapy, night splints and orthotics. Unfortunately for some relief is elusive, leaving the sufferer with the decision to "live with it" or submit to a surgical treatment.

A new treatment option is now available. Extracorporeal Shock Wave treatment (ESWT), a non-invasive technique, has been proven to be effective in the majority of those cases. This in office procedure has been proven to be as effective as surgery but without the risks of a surgical procedure.

Wish me and the baby legs luck, I can't take much more of this, my last resort is a 24/7 morphine drip.

No comments: