Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Lipton Takes The Plunge

Since the 10th Anniversary season of Inside the Actors Studio I have noticed a change. Cosmetically a change of venue from the old New School's Tishman Auditorium in Greenwich Village to Michael Schimmel Center for the Arts at Pace University's New York City campus, but more importantly a change in content. 

I am not saying that the professionals Mr. Lipton has on his program are not viable "teachers" in the craft. Ok….well yes I am saying that....you can't say that in Season #1 with Paul Newman, Sidney Lumet, Shelley Winters &  Arthur Miller (to name a few) is the same caliber of professional as Sean Combs, Bradley Cooper & Jennifer Aniston? Bradley being the first "student" to be on the show was clearly a jump to boost matriculation. Sure they have all achieved success on a certain level but what I am trying to say is, "Mr. Lipton you couldn't find a theatre professional to interview?"

Mr. Lipton before Bravo became the trash can of reality wives & beauticians you used to book theatre actors, directors, writers etc....what happened? Or have you sold your soul to the incorporated arts as well? I make my case simply by quoting the man himself. During his interview with Jennifer Aniston, she would not cop to the "nudity" in her upcoming movie to which Mr. Lipton said, "Come on I'm trying to sell the film." 

I thought Inside the Actors Studio was about sharing not selling. Sharing what it is to give your life to an art form through thick and thin, for scale or scab because without it you aren't totally you. Shame on you Mr. Lipton for turning your platform into just another media outlet trying to "sell" us tickets to movies that are riddled with crap snacks & poop cakes.  

You should start thinking of what you are going to say when you meet God at the pearly gates. I heard she's a huge fan of Pinter, Ionesco & Brecht. I'm sure she is NOT amused.

No comments: