Wednesday, March 12, 2008

The Party's Over!

By accident in the early stages of summer last year my friend Megan and I discovered a treasure in the middle of the Eastside. The popular Blockheads Mexican Restaurant that speckles the city with venues had a little known weekly tradition, called Taco Tuesday. Every Tuesday you could get a chicken, beef or veggie taco and a shot of tequila for $3 dollars. Coupled with the already priced $3 Frozen Margaritas and Beer it was truly heaven on earth. In the months that followed groups of us would gather weekly to partake in the discounted cornucopia. I watched my universes mix & collide, seeing new friends being made through the salt rimmed hours spent surrounded by the trademarked Sock Monkey Mascots of Blockheads. I went so often that the wait staff would just smile at me and ask how many today? I wouldn’t even have to order because they already knew my usual. I was the Norm Petersen of 2nd Avenue between 51st & 50th Street, where everyone knew my name.

Then the winter came and our lust for frozen margaritas waned, people got shows and went out of town, and I stopped going for awhile. But the recent time jump has brought back the sun and I rallied a small band of troops to reconvene for our $3 Mexican hat dance. Only to find completely new waiters that had no idea of our devoted pilgrimages. We ordered the Tuesday special like always only to be met by a blank stare and a, “let me check to see if we do that?” My heart sank. Was it really over? Could the best deal in the city for starving artists gone the way of the Yugo? Yup. It’s over. We sighed and tried to still be happy over the $3 beverages that are a staple and consistent. We managed to still have a great time for time spent with friends is time well spent.

Closing the place down around 11:30pm we stumbled onto second avenue laughing and looking for cabs. I realized that have the best friends in the world. Who needs $3 tacos & shots?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And I never got to go. :(

It's ok, I always felt taco were a more of a lesbian meal anyway...