Thursday, September 11, 2008

Retelling is Rethinking....

On this day every year I invariably retell my 9/11 experience. Usually at lunch with the girls and this year was nothing different. Most of my friends at work now were still in college when it all happened and the fact that I’ve had this job for 7 years means I was here with my Jews on that day.

Time passes and I still haven’t been downtown since the attack. I never have a reason to be in that part of town, my life never really goes below Bleecker. I get too emotional to really deal with what happened, to process it, mostly I just get angry, a color I don’t wear very well. Especially if some tourist asks me which way to ground zero, like it was a ride at Disneyland.

That night after making my way home, I watched the city burn from my Williamsburg window not knowing what would come. How the world would be different, how I would be different? Well I know now and it’s unfortunate that it only went from bad to worse.

The election is the only light, if things don’t change I fear we will continue to spiral into the darkness, but there is hope. My hope is that America will get better and get over this mess. I survived 9/11 and the lung infection that I got from inhaling the black cloud that floated across the river and into our apt. My hope is that Obama is the antibiotic that will change the course of this slow Bataan death march into being the biggest world power embarrassment ever.

Land of the free, home of the liars and bullies of the oil fields, this is NOT what we are supposed to be. Does anybody even remember what this Nation is supposed to stand for? We used to stand for revolution, and freedom, and independent thinking. These have been replaced by fear, homeland security and fast food. I’m choking to death on all of it.

After seeing the musical, Tale of Two Cities this week, I’ve decided what was good for France is good for Washington D.C. Let my tax dollars purchase a guillotine. Let’s see who flip flops in front of a shiny steel blade and brings up pigs wearing lipstick. Punishment for all who serve themselves and not the people…that includes you Department of the Interior, who’s first Madame Guillotine is waiting….it's god's will afterall.

No comments: