Friday, February 27, 2009

G's & Ho's


Blessings are few and far between yet in these times I am truly blessed with friends who love me and will take me to free Broadway shows. It's the first time being single is paying off big time!!! (wink-wink Vinnie's List)

I got to see Guys & Dolls last night with the aforementioned Vinnie "the muff" Costa. We dined at the Ruby Tuesday's on 41st street and as a bitter tourist hating New Yorker I have to say I would live at the Ruby Tuesday's on 41st street.

Seriously, the staff was crazy NICE and beautiful (shout out to Savannah, not only a lovely town but also quiet the Doll). Clearly, the entire wait staff were actors, everyone was head shot ready and freshly scrubbed. They served us with such kindness and hospitality that I couldn't believe I was even in Times Square. The salad bar was AWESOME and my Mini Burgers perfection. A dirty plate did not linger and my delicious coffee never went cold or empty!!In a pinch I'd go back in a second. Brava Ruby T!!!

Unfortunately what's happening at the Nederlander Theatre is NOT of the same ilk. Guys & Dolls is one of my favorite all time shows. Reason being, when I was getting my Equity card at the then Jupiter Theatre in Florida I ASM'd the show as deck chief. After the montage opening there was 6 counts of 8 of the entire cast bouncing on their heels before making a keystone cop right leg cocked exit stage left or right....I in my blacks, headset and glow tape I bounced every night behind the news stand right next to my good friend Randy Ronco, who giggled like a little girl at my secret participation in the opening number, it was thrilling to be the dancing invisible glue.

The best things about this 2009 incarnation is the set design and Mary Testa.Which is ironic because Mary is known for chewing scenery to the ground. Lauren Graham's Adelaide I thought had Down Syndrome in the first Act. The second act she had some nice moments but a singer/dancer she is not....quick get thee back to the WB.

Oliver Platt is miscast, and is about as far an actor can be from all the things that make Nathan Detroit a iconic theatre role. Plus he's bigger than Big Julie, so say good bye to all the sight gags you know and love.

The actress playing Sister Sarah is as forgettable as her name and frankly I think is a man. Her voice is uninspired and deeper than Bea Arthur's.

Craig Bierko who I love, is phoning it in, maybe he's tired from the load-in/tech rehearsals etc...but "Lucky Be A Lady" was a damp towel at best. That number should fly off the pipes and while the boys on the line were dancing their dicks off Craig stumbled lack luster into snake eyes.

It wasn't until "Sit Down You're Rockin the Boat" that the show finally took off....seriously better late than never. I was told this was an "reimagining" of the show and this was the only number whose arrangements brought new life to the old mare. Titus Burgess ROCKED! Finally, what was he doing all night??? What was the cast doing??? I don't know but the number blew the roof off the joint. Maybe because the orchestra wasn't in the pit but on stage behind the ever changing electric light parade backdrop.

To me the whole show is a roller coaster ride through Damon Runyon's Broadway Stories, the highs are high and the lows are low unfortunately this production barely breaks even.

No comments: