Wednesday, March 4, 2009

NYC Circa 1971

Before I lost myself in the Golden Girls Marathon this weekend, I watched a bunch of old movies that have been on my list to see for awhile. Gaslight, Rear Window (actually a favorite I’ve watched over and over, wasn't Grace Kelly just the most beautiful woman, and according to Edith Head the beauty matched the inside too, I'm completely smitten) and The French Connection.

I know The French Connection, but have never watched it, the chase scene is AMAZING even after 38years, Gene Hackman & Roy Schneider are the perfect cop partner foils. Popeye Doyle still remains one of the all-time racist with a heart of gold parts in history. I was really shocked at how racist the whole movie was, in my opinion you could NOT remake it today with it’s original dialogue without huge backlash. However, it won 5 Oscars including Best Picture and was nominated for 7.

But that’s not what impressed me the most. What I loved about the movie was watching New York City. It was amazing not to see one Duane Reade, Starbucks, or chain restaurant ANYWHERE!!! It was all Mom & Pop places with classic buildings and hotels in the background. It was dirty and weird to see Coney Island style vending stands on the platforms in Grand Central nothing like the 3 star Food Court of today.

Moreover, the Broadway show posters were my favorite Doyle would run by chasing the heroin dealer and all I could think about was, “oh my god that’s an original HAIR poster!” Don’t say it, I know I’m a fag and proud of it!!

The gentrification of New York has made it into the mini mall it is today. The character is gone and has been replaced with capitalistic decoupage. I actually miss the hookers, the dirt and grime I could live without, however it’s wildness is what made it beautiful. Fearing for your life was one of the reasons you came to New York in the first place, you felt alive because your senses were heightened. Everything tasted good because it could be your last meal before you got mugged.

Crass, brassy politicians drove the city into the ground and the people brought it back from the brink of bankruptcy. Those were the good old days.
Disney can suck it.

No comments: