Friday, March 6, 2009

Busted Brazieres

Recently I have noticed that I can not seem to keep a bra in wearable condition for more than 2years. It’s truly a puzzlement; I remember my mother’s bra drawer and her foundation garments lasted a lifetime. I would laugh at how funny they looked, her generation enjoyed that fantastic torpedo look, but their elastic, straps, hook & eyes all still in tip top shape for decades. The cups didn’t wrinkle and the under wires stayed in place. As I look at my rag tag collection, some bought as recently as October 2008, they are all on their last legs. Under wires missing, some have eyes, some have hooks, some have neither, the elastic is peeking out from the sides trying to escape. I don’t understand it. It’s not like my girls, Gwendolyn & Cecily, are out having extra curricular activities without me. In fact since my surgery I haven’t been in a gym so that wear and tear doesn’t even factor in, I mean really what is happening???

Product quality today is all in the turnover. The repeat business, everything expires now with only a two year life span. Cell phones get that weird phone cancer right around 2 years, which ironically coincides with them offering you a new phone with your contract renewal. You can only secure a two year lease on your apt, so they can jack up the rent consistently. Car leases, shoes, even towels & sheets seem to fray and rip more quickly and easily. Nothing lasts anymore. You’d figure since we are strangling the earth with all our broken crap someone would figure out that maybe part of the solution to keep our landfills from bursting to capacity is if things where made better and lasted longer there’s be less pollution, less global warming and better bras for all.

No comments: