Friday, April 23, 2010

Broken Promises.....

At the last minute I got a call from Broadway. Well not Broadway really but my amazing friend Vinnie called to invite to me see Promises, Promises an hour or so before the curtain. I stripped outta my fat pants and my DVR induced Top Chef Masters Coma and got dressed, skipped across town to the Broadway Theatre and got ready to lose myself in the muzak of Burt Bacharach.

The first act is highlighted only by some athletic choreography, and beautifully accurate period costumes. Sean Hayes isn’t the best singer and pulls out some “Jack” to reel the audience onto his side. Kristin Chenoweth is fine. Yup, I said it, she’s just fine. The songs aren’t great for her; in fact I have learned something about myself. I hate Bacharach, no really, the music is disjointed and lyrically a mess. One number, “Young Pretty Girl Like You” makes no sense at all, I guess it’s a comment on the “blind eye” we turn on our actual reality and just “smile” through it. But isn’t that why Fran/Kristin tries to kill herself in the first place?? Pass the valium and put mommy to bed.

However, I am glad we stayed through the intermission, the top of the second act I could have watched a dozen times. You might ask yourself, Brandy why? What makes Act II something to shout about? Katie Finneran as Marge MacDougall is what I am ecstatic about!!!

She saves the whole production on the wings of her owl stole. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, character actors are the kings & queens of any show. She won a Tony in 2002 for her performance in Noises Off as Brooke Ashton. She might just get nominated again, her drunken display of Christmas Eve lechery is one for all time. She got the biggest laughs and nearly a standing ovation upon her exit from “The Apartment”. A tour de force in a 2 scene bit roll, I’m smitten with this kitten and she has raised the bar on the barfly ideal!

See it if you must, but my revival money is on La Cage Aux Folles!! Whose new TV commercial is a hoot!! Kelsey Grammer ends it with, “and you should see me dance!” Makes me giggle everytime.

No comments: