Friday, January 21, 2011

TID BIT FRIDAY!!

On Fridays I will post weekly "tid bits" that have inspirational meaning to me. They can be anything; poems, songs, scenes from plays or movies. They will also serve as a way to remind me from where my whimsy and happiness spring. Of late, I seem to have misplaced the address.

We start with my fond affection for Noél Coward....It all started with an album my grandmother had in her HiFi collection. The songs made me giggle and even though I didn't understand all the words I was determined to find out what this dapper man in a tux was singing about and what I had to do to attend "a marvellous party".

Then came Blythe Spirit it's a show that I have loved for a very long time. It was one of my mother's favorites and I got to perform a scene or two in college. Of course I played Elvira....not quite as graceful & chic as Lauren Bacall, my Elvira well she was more Dawn French in a Gunny Sack Dress. I can't speak to the recent revival as I did not see it, partly as a silent protest against a Broadway producer who wouldn't listen to me, and partly because I'm always broke.

Below is a tid bit from a LIVE Broadcast on CBS staring Mr. Coward, it aired on 1-14-56 (55 yrs ago). Time she does fly doesn't she...

Cast:
Noel Coward as Charles Condomine
Claudette Colbert as Ruth Condomine
Lauren Bacall as Elvira Condomine
Brenda Forbes as Mrs. Bradman
Mildred Natwick as Madame Arcati
Philip Tonge as Dr. Bradman

Dir. Noel Coward & Frederick De Cordova

No comments: