Monday, June 18, 2007

Time Heels all Wounds...

Time is a cruel mistress, not only does she rage across our bodies in a death march, she also takes her sweet time in mending our boo-boos. One February 22, I had foot reconstruction surgery, apparently working out like a woman possessed can be a bad thing.

The operation went fine and the drugs were great, and for almost four weeks straight I was in my magic tree house convalescing. I got care packages and get well cards which made me feel secure and loved in a time of vulnerability. Many of you came to see me, bringing me food and hugs, at least I think ya’ll were there, I was high on Oxycontin most of the time so I could have just been talking to myself.

My plan was to stay at home for the four weeks and catch up on my stories and watch all the extras on the Lord of the Rings DVD’s, which as I found out can be dangerous while on Oxycontin, because you start thinking your studio apartment is in the Shire. That was 3 months ago.

Today is June 18th; I spent two hours this morning in physical therapy. Fabian, my therapist who has a ponytail and is of some Asian decent, told me frankly that he would hurt me and he does 3 times a week. If I live through this my dream is to one day be able to workout and finally attain a body to be proud of, if Fabian has his way I will. Albeit broken spiritual as his hands rain down a fire that can only be described as Apocalyptic! I physically try to get away from him and have to fight the urge to kick him in the face. My therapy resembles something I saw once on Law & Order: SUV. Only unlike the poor hooker, I get to live….for now. My pain threshold has always been high. My body and I have been through a lot of accidents, sickness, even near death, but honestly I would go through that all again before I go through another ambulatory ailment.

My message is simple. Take care of your feet. They legs they are attached too and the back they support. As New Yorkers we pound the crap out them every day on the streets, in the gym, on the subway stairs, you need them more than you know. Because when they stop bouncing back you stop moving….period. The next time you think of passing on a pedicure because it’s just a luxury. Think again and treat your two best friends that go everywhere with you with a little love. Might I suggest Waitress Red nothing feels better than a sassy toe and they deserve it!

1 comment:

Vickie said...

We want you all well again! MWahhhhhhh