Monday, June 11, 2007

While Paris is Burning...

I decided that this weekend should be full of adventure and theatre. After exploding with rage at the events that perpetually surround Paris Hilton, I treated myself to the things I love best. i.e. live theatre, meeting with friends and enjoying frosty beverages. Friday night I was planning on spending the evening waiting for my Fresh Direct delivery and playing with my dog. However, I got a call from the wild (aka my friend Ned) to join him at the Blockheads at the World Wide Plaza for $3 margaritas and to help him learn lines for his upcoming show. Being a sucker for tequila and a man who can work a fedora, off I went after said delivery.

The evening was perfect down to the pinwheel laden libations. I ran lines with Ned and we laughed at all the people who weren’t as fabulous as us. I nearly snatched a pigeon from the sky as he dove in to steal a nacho, clearly he did not realize how much I love nachos and almost paid the price for his hubris.

After our South of the Border Adventure, Ned got me into to the preview of his show, Elvis People. That’s right it’s called Elvis People, it’s about the people who love Elvis & who were around him i.e the Memphis Mafia, but does not actually star an Elvis, per say. There is an Elvis impersonator, but that’s more about his story of becoming an Elvis impersonator. Frankly, it was fun, and in its development stage so things are still changing, but overall it did make me laugh and showed me that people can be and are still fascinated by the King.

Saturday I met with my friend Anne and we saw a matinee of Beyond Glory. A one man show starring, acclaimed Broadway and film actor Stephen Lang who brings to the stage the riveting stories of eight American heroes. Recipients of the Medal of Honor, each of these men went 'above and beyond the call of duty' to a place where bravery and humility meet. In a stunning tour de force performance, Lang leads us on a journey through WWII, Korea and Vietnam, taking us to a realm beyond glory to ponder the meaning of true courage. NOW this is theatre. For 80 solid minutes this won man wove together these amazing true stories of men that fought for our freedom and for the lives of their comrades and I was completely mesmerized by how someone could just create so much with so little. Working with just a footlocker and a few different pieces of wardrobe he took me from Pearl Harbor to below the 38th parallel. Of course being the Navy Brat of a veteran of Korea and Viet Nam I am a little bias. However, it was the first time since my Dad died four years ago that I felt really close to him, and for that I am truly grateful.

TONY/Soprano Sunday!!! I pulled together a little party with friends to view the TONY’S and the Soprano’s Series Finale. I made my Mom’s lasagna, toasted garlic bread, had a nice tossed salad and finished off the night with blood orange & vanilla gelato. I think the Blood Orange was particularly tongue and cheek considering the Soprano’s unquenchable whack lust.

I am going to save my review of each show for upcoming blogs, but this longtime viewer & theatre whore was not disappointed at all with the farewell to North Jersey’s crown prince. As for the Tony’s, ugh….all I have to say is thank god for Julie White, Bill T. Jones and Mary Louise Wilson for keeping it real. Upsets and unbelievably bad musical numbers out weighed their joy and candor. But I’ll save that witty banter for a future blog…

1 comment:

madeleine said...

i have a little more to add about elvis. after our brief discussion i went home and what was on? elvis of course. looking as sexy as a man using that much hair gel and high waisted pants can look. he was real. i don't think i'll ever stop loving him