Monday, June 15, 2009

The Final Stritch!

There's no question that I adore theatre legend Elaine Stritch. Every year I send her birthday (Feb 2nd) emails to her website, when I'm really down and out I listen to "At Liberty" because her voice makes me feel centered and calm. (I'm not saying I can explain it, it's odd and upsetting to most I know, but I love it). She makes me laugh no matter how many times I hear the same stories over and over....especially her relationship with Ethel Merman, god that's comedy gold!!

Last night was opening night at the Paper Mill Playhouse for The Full Monty in which the divine Mz. Stritch plays Jeanette. Luckily I have dear and talented friends in the cast which scored me an invite and let me just tell you Stritchy was in rare form! After her big number, she just couldn't resist to do an unrehearsed encore to the surprise of the cast and orchestra! She IS showbiz!!! Amazing.

She may drop a line or flub a lyric, but the dames got hutspa and would never let on that she's scared to death.

The cast has put together a list of "Stritch-isms" for example, "Christ did I get Stritch-slapped today or what?" Or my favorite is that after 4 weeks of working with Elaine the entire cast now has Stritchmarks. These jibs come from a place of sheer terror and total admiration. People don't have careers like hers anymore. She's worked with the best that the entertainment community had or will ever have. She lives through the daily battle of sobriety and can still find the wit in a tired old dick joke. When she rewrote some of her lines in The Full Monty Mr. McNally said, "thank you." I mean come on!!! What else is he gonna say....hahaha!

It was a joy to watch her live and a memory I will treasure. I am officially one degree from Noël Coward and I couldn't be happier. Thank you Stritchy!! Long may you rave!!! xoxox

ps-Elaine also hates all doors & locks, apparently in her twilight she has become extremely afraid of being locked in somewhere. So my friends Michele & Susan keep walking in on her on the can. Priceless.

No comments: