Thursday, August 6, 2009

Rebound!

After the poo-storm, which is what I am calling the “set” I “performed” at the Duplex last week, I found myself ready to step back into the light of shame and uncertainty once more to try and make’em laugh. I actually wrote some jokes during my insomnia earlier this week, wrote them down even. Made a set list and guess what? I was funny. Imagine that being prepared actually makes a difference. Kinda like how eating right and exercise cures fat asses. Earth shattering, someone should write a book.

It felt awesome. Re-crafting a joke while you’re telling it is an unbelievable feeling. Riffing in the moment and having the confidence to go with it and KNOW it will be funny in the end even though you’re not sure how you’re gonna get there is better than any opiate. So I’m building on something small. Tiny baby steps outta this 9 to 5 cube and into the life I want.

My mother gave me a very valuable gift, she taught me to believe. Faith was important to her and she tried to instill in me a deeper trust in the universe. While I am not fond of or support organized religion I do believe in having the strength to support others & give encouragement. Helping my precious few stay focused on their life’s journey is my duty as a friend and something I’ve been good at my whole life thanks to my mother's wonderful example.

So now I'm preaching to the choir and using a bit of that fairy dust on myself for a change.