Sunday, July 3, 2011

Top Ten Saddest Things

This is probably number 8 in the top ten list of boo-hoos.

A dear friend is doing some fundraising for a environmental program at the school where she teaches, if you are so inclined check it out. GREEN APPLE KIDS. The Green Apple Kids will change the world, or at least keep us from completely destroying it. 

In my faux Jew fashion I doubled down on the magic number 18 and gave them $36 for worms, trowels or whatever green thumb things they might need. When I noticed that I could include either an In honor of or In memory of notation on the gift. Now this made me very excited because I am usually acknowledging such requests in my Jewbical so to put the shoe on the other foot made me squeal with glee.

It immediately came to me what I should write. In memory of my Mother who loved her worms before they were cool. Mom in her truest form was a southern lady who loved to grow things. Digging in the yard for hours in her wide brimmed hat with gloves and a water bottle happy as a clam to be elbow deep in mulch and manure. 

This is one thing I DID NOT inherit. Even at an early age I loved being surrounded by nature, but under no circumstances did I want nature to be on me. There's a great picture of me somewhere in a diaper and cowboy boots wailing with my hands in the air because they were dirty. Even then I preferred to be poolside with a snack shack at the ready.

As I was imputing the IMO, I could attach it to an e-card. Ooooo fun I picked out a beautiful picture and typed in the text, but then I realized there was no one to send it to. The only people that would have cared aren't here anymore. I thought about changing it, but I didn't I just sent it to myself.

What I know more than anything is that it's not the tangible acknowledgement of someone knowing you are thinking about them, but that you think and act as if they are still with you. It's what they would want, to be alive in me in every small thing I do or say. So mother, here's to your worms, I hope you have a sunny patch somewhere to make beautiful things grow. 

Save me some tomatoes!!

xoxox-Princess

No comments: