Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Dear Hallmark,

It saddens me that parents today must be reminded to encourage and support their children with your overpriced trinkets and cards. Back in the day all my mother needed was some lined paper and a pen to let me know how special I was, that all my dreams were possible, and that I too could conquer long division & sentence diagramming.

Children don't need bright colored paper to feel loved, or plastic buttons with sassy hamster sayings, not to mention "fill in the blank" cards where the parent only need to think briefly over the attributes their seed might have instead of coming up with their own words of praise.

Your interactive tips section and quintessential kid quiz on your website make me want to vomit. Prompts for brain dead parents make me wonder if they should have reproduced at all; especially if they can't think for themselves enough to channel their feelings for their children in a creative way. What's next an "app" for potty training, story telling and hugging so you won't have to interrupt your busy routine or cancel a pilates class?

Parents of the world if you buy this crap it will eventually wind up in a landfill. You do yourselves and your children a great disservice if you can’t even find the time or energy to get to know your kids. You are raising the future, give them a little piece of you and save your money and probably your children will think twice before putting you into a nursing home.
.

No comments: