Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Lost but Never Forgotten...

After a full and wonderful Taco Tuesday I headed home to walk the baby girl, my Kayla. She was doing the pee-pee dance and so we made haste for the curb. Only to run into Henry's Mama.

See that is what it is like to own a dog in NYC. You don't know the owners name, you just know them by the name of their dog. She is a middle aged woman, I have talked to her practically every day since the first week I had Kayla.

Kayla never liked Henry, he was a beautiful English Bull Dog who never gave her cause to bark but for some reason Kayla never liked Henry. She made me feel embarrassed because he gave Kayla no cause for concern. She's moody what can I say.

However, tonight I saw Henry's Mama while Kayla and I made our nightly rounds. Henry's Mama stopped me to say that Henry had died. He wasn't sick. She had just taken him to the Vet for a check up and for some reason he started to vomit. Then he choked and died. Poor, beautiful, sweet Henry. He was a good boy and always welcomed me scratching his hind quarters.

An accident, took him away from his Mama. In her reaching out to me in her pain, I realized that our pets give us so much more than we give them. Maybe it's because I am an orphan, but honestly Kayla is my heart. I have no doubt that if it should arise she would fight to the death for me. Her sweet face, her smile, how she picks people to say Hello too. Such an honest, caring soul for someone with out words.

Henry's Mama was so hurt. I didn't know what to say. But what struck me most was the fact that I don't know her name. She is just Henry's Mama. What does that say? I am planning to leave a condolences card for her with her door man. Even in the wake of not knowing her name, I will just leave it for Henry's Mama. I am sure the doorman will know who I mean. Henry was quite a good boy and I will always remember him sitting in the sun with his Mama waiting for a good scratch from a friendly neighbor.

RIP~Henry, I will not forget your smile...and neither will your devote mother.
xox,
b

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

to henry's mamma...