Friday, August 10, 2007

Mad Men...Thursday Night 10pm on AMC!!!

Last night was the 4th episode in my new favorite show…Mad Men.

I can not tell you how amazing this show is, if you aren’t watching it start!! All the episodes are available on demand on the Free Movies On Demand station (if you have Time Warner) and I believe online at amctv.com. Make sure you watch the 25 minute “Making of…” Special it really shows you how deep they are going to make this series a back in time travel piece. The Producers are crazy over accuracy and detail, which I LOVE!!

It takes place in 1960, and follows the lives of a group of Ad Executives at a firm called Sterling Cooper. The CEO is Robert Morse, who played J. Pierpont Finch, in the original production of How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying!!! Plus they have two other theatre people in the show John Slattery & Bryan Batt. Batt plays the undercover gay brilliantly, watch for the homo clues!!! Here is the website if I’ve peaked your interest http://media.amctv.com/originals/madmen/

Also, during commercial breaks they give you little factoids about the advertising world followed by a commercial pertaining to said factoid. Soooooo genius I can’t even tell you. As much as I hate being manipulated by the corporate pirates I adore that they are using the show as a platform to launch into commercials. Almost, poking fun at how obvious it really all is, how they come into your home and push their products.

It’s commentary on the generational gaps, then and now, how men behave, the office politics, sexism, adultery, drinking, smoking, racism, anti-Semitism; they don’t hold back at all which so refreshing. Plus, it’s darkly funny, and asks the question, “Have we really changed all that much?” One of the writers says, “No, we just are more polite.”

If you start watching the show, please let me know, I would love to have a water cooler gang to discuss what’s happening, right now it’s just me talking to the television and Kayla (the dog) looking at me like I have lobsters crawling out of my ears!!!

No comments: