Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The BBC is killing me....

As a huge fan of BBC programming I have come to realize that they are trying to kill me.

Case in point, last year I discovered this great series called HEX, sort of a Buffy meets Hogwarts with a lesbian subplot. Hot, hilarious, fun I got hooked immediately only to find out that it got cancelled after the second season with no final resolution. ARGH!!!! Suddenly I was flashing back to the dirty dirt that HBO pulled with Carnivàle. I still haven’t fully forgiven them for pulling the rug out from under me on that especially with how season two ended!!!

Now, through the best new cable network Ovation!!! I think of it as what BRAVO used to be before NBC bought it and turned it into all reality all the time crap, sans of course Top Chef & Kathy Griffin, (I have since lost interest in Project Runway, it’s lost it’s flair even though Tim Gunn is still making it work).

Back to my metaphorical death, this week I found a mini-series called, “Lost in Austen”, produced by the BBC about a young girl so enraptured by the book “Pride and Prejudice” that she ends up trading places with Elizabeth Bennet through a cupboard door in her upstairs loo. Not quite the wardrobe of my dreams, but a handy device for traveling back in time into a work of fiction. Amanda Price our heroine finds her 2008 self in her dream world only to be a fish out of water, whose presence influences the characters causing the original book to go off the rails.

Now, as I am working on a piece called, “Killing Jane Austen,” I thought this would be fun research on a topic that I find annoying and repetitious especially for books that have been around for 200years. I have been toying with the idea of calling it, “The Death of Mr. Darcy”, since his pompous ass can’t keep his hands off the impressionable young minds of girls the world over.

But that’s neither here nor there, my point being is that Miss Amanda Price (Jemima Rooper) and Miss Christina Cole (Caroline Bingley) starred in HEX. It’s cruel and unusual punishment to place these two in a sweeping period piece romance when you know that they are NEVER going to touch each other. However, since Amanda is from 2008 there have been many randy, hilarious exchanges, for example to get Mr. Bingley to turn his advances away from her and toward the appropriate Jane Bennet she tells him she’s a lesbian. His 18th century reaction is priceless….so I do enjoy the shock and awe factor of centuries clashing, probably left over from my fondness of “Bill & Ted’s Excellent Adventure,” I still have a crush on that actress that played Joan of Arc. Hahah!

Actually, now after ranting I feel at peace with the whole scenario. I enjoy both actresses and have followed their work since HEX. I guess I just feel cheated out of knowing what happened to my demon fighting dead lesbian ghost. Oh well.

Tune in next week to hear how I feel about them remaking “Dr. Zhivago,” with Keira Knightley, IS NOTHING SACRED!!!!

1 comment:

Brandy w/a Y said...

Oh joy oh rapture, while watching the third installment of Lost in Austen Miss Caroline Bingley revealed to Miss Amanda Price behind closed doors that she shared in her secret of the sappho....hahahah. That she would marry for correctness but in her heart there would only be the soft pleasures of sisterhood.

Whether these two have been forever type cast I don't care but hurray and huzzah for the bravery of the sassy screenplay writer to veiled homosexuals in a book by Miss Jane Austen....maybe I need to reread to make sure that the subtext isn't implied, after all 10% is 10% no matter what century!! :-)