Tuesday, January 27, 2009

To strike or not to strike.....

Things are tough all over...well duh, and fate being the bitch that she has our union contract up this year and we are faced with trying to negotiate with management. I was informed last night that on the table is NO raise increase and our health care costs will go up thus putting me behind in the rat race.

People are divided, some want to roll over and die, some want to strike, some want to chuck the union and save on increasing dues. Frankly, the whole idea of not getting a raise and paying more for health care makes me want to put on my Emma Goldman hat and storm Union Square.

In normal economic times we raise an obscene amount of money to help people all over the world. This year our campaign is behind, it's sad but true, however maybe it's time to reinvest in ourselves and fortify the home court a little. All of us work insane hours for very little because we believe in the mission of UJA-Federation.

As a non-Jew I have marveled at all that is done for both Jewish and non-Jewish communities. Over the past 8 years it has given me a sense of belonging to the global community. Giving something of myself to people I will never meet but all the same feel connected to.

The people I stand with are amazing and I don't think ask for very much, so I vote that we turn what we do have back on ourselves for a change. If we are taken care of then we have the morale and ability to push forward and find new ways to support our agencies. If management stripes us clean then where is the sense of doing for others when your bowl is empty.

Charity begins at home.

No comments: