Friday, January 9, 2009

Bitter...


This was my idea. When asked by mister broadway to find a star vehicle for an actress of some ilk I set off like a hound after a good bone. A few guidelines to follow, a comedy, a revival of something that hasn’t been done in at least 10yrs, and something that people would want to see again with new jazz hands and fresh ideas…..Noel Coward is beyond one of my favorite playwrights. I suggested Blythe Spirit to him with my “dream” cast, a bit younger than the one coming down the pike but still a must see cast to get bums in seats. He hadn’t read it, worry #1. After he did he said he didn’t think the female rolls where strong enough, worry #2. Shortly after being shot down, I saw the press release for this production. Shaking my head with complete disbelief with a smattering of ironic agony I quietly said to myself in my 9 to 5 cube, “why won’t anyone listen to me,” I’m a theatre whore, it’s my church, my vitality, I might be young but I know what I’m talking about.

With veiled cockiness I told him about production plans for BS, he chortled, “it’ll still be a hard sell,” As I stared blankly at what I knew was a lie to hide his misstep, I looked above his head at the Hirschfeld of him and thought to myself, “Oh, Al whose gonna draw me someday when this grasshopper finally gets the chance to be heard?”

No comments: