Monday, October 19, 2009

Belief

Friday night I spent with Todd & Olivia we went to see Believe: The Eddie Izzard Story at Village East Cinemas. Since I have the directional capabilities of someone with vertigo and a bag over their head I naturally went to the wrong movie theatre. Village Cinema on 12th & University is not playing Believe. Thank goodness Village East is only a few avenues over and I managed to redirect myself. Arriving at the theatre I did not see my Ed-Head crew but did see the ancient former Mayor of New York Ed Koch. He climbed the staircase as if he was ascending into the heavens awaiting his eternal reward. He made his way to the concession stand and I wondered which movie he was there to see, my bet was on Zombieland since he looked like one.

The universe is nutty in that I had just watched the documentary "Outrage" on HBO. If you haven't heard, Outrage argues that several American political figures have led closeted gay lives while supporting and endorsing legislation that is harmful to the gay community. One of the conjectures in the film is that Mr. Koch had had a boyfriend whom he had pressured to leave New York and remain silent about their relationship. In an interview with New York Post, Ed Koch denounced the film and claimed that it mischaracterized his record on gay issues. He did not respond to the film's assertions that he had failed to adequately respond to the New York's AIDS epidemic, or to the film's allegations about his past same sex relationships.

The small advocate part of me wanted to go up to him and ask him face to face about it. But as I am a blushing petal in the Wedding Bouquet of life I did not do so, confrontation is not one of my strong suits. Plus, he looked so frail and tired that really what would be the point. Pity won the day.

Todd & Olivia arrived shortly after and we settled into the theatre for our Eddie treat. The film basically traced his whole life from childhood to a sold out performance at Wembley Arena. With archival footage and family photos we see young Edward evolve from school boy to street performer to stand-up comic to being an out transvestite multi-media star.

It was so amazing to see him work out new material just like the rest of us. Slogging away for years in the nothingness to become an “overnight” success is heartening for someone like me. Eddie said that you have to believe you are something before you become it. He had to believe that he was a performer even though people said he wasn’t, he had to believe that what he thought was funny was funny. I mean a bit about being raised by wolves isn’t your usual comic fare, but it was the joke that got him on the national radar and led him to selling over 350,000 tickets to his Stripped Concert Tour.

After the movie we tumbled into the Telephone bar, making it a theme night of sorts. I had two black & tans and an order of bangers & mash.
Food and ale fit for any transvestite who trots the boards.

As I look forward to my upcoming shows with Eddie on my shoulder his stilettos digging into my shoulder blade I will recite my tiny prayer…I believe, I believe, I believe…..Ta!!

No comments: