Thursday, June 3, 2010

Inside the Actors Studio.....

It's sad to me that this teaching forum has just become another media platform to pitch your new movie. This show has been an "inside" look into some of the most amazing careers in the entertainment industry. Now, it seems as if Mr. Lipton has gotten to the end of the line of legends and is freely selling his soul to the highest bidder.

The latest Sean Combs episode made me feel dirty. Now, I'm not slighting Mr. Combs in anyway, he is growing into yet another discipline as an actor but the entire show leaned towards promoting, "Get Him To The Greek," literally showing us clip after clip of the film. They spoke briefly of his theatrical training and touched mostly on his musical career, which in itself is a journey worth noting.

However, there was NOT enough to talk about. In fact Sean did little talking at all. His mother spoke quite a bit as did his acting teacher. I know in some other episodes they have had a guest say hello, or comment on the performer but the two of them stole focus and took questions??? Making it seem more like, "This is Your Life."

I don't know, maybe it's just me, but I can make a long list of theatre & film professionals that deserve to be on that show. Who can impart a truth to acting and the reality of the working actor, not to mention playwrights or even the elusive producer or god forbid a "techie"? How about that an episode featuring a Broadway Stage Manager, an hour of invisible glue!! Priceless!!! I'm sure Ira Mont can tell a story or two that will blow you're hair back! Get it together Lipton or I'm going to send Will Ferrell over there to bitch slap you!! lol!

No comments: