Monday, June 21, 2010

Pass the Mints...

Last Monday I went to a benefit for The Mint Theater, they did a reading of The Naked Genius, by Gypsy Rose Lee. The original production in 1943 was directed by the legendary George S. Kaufman. His daughter Anne Kaufman was there and sat just a breath away from me. Truly the closest I will ever get to the Algonquin Round Table was in that small space between my banquette and her chair. My imagination just went nuts at thinking about what it must have been like to be a child surrounded by the Marx Brothers, George Gershwin, Ira Gershwin, Moss Hart, not to mention that most of his plays were made into movies.

Stage Door, one of my all time favorites with Katherine Hepburn, Ginger Rogers, Adolphe Menjou and Lucille Ball. I should have said something, anything, but what?? What do you say to someone who lived through the golden age of Broadway & Hollywood? How would someone like me even begin to start without sounding like "Man in Chair" with turrets. I kept my glee restrained within my chest masking it with permagrin and tried NOT to catch her eye for fear of giving her a stroke.

Kristen Johnston volunteered to star as Ms. Lee, from previous blogs you all know how I feel about the divine Ms. Johnston. Sadly the play isn't very good, but Kristen, as she does, pulled out all the stops and made the event hilarious. I got to meet and speak with her briefly. My friend Ned is her "Manny", not really I like to tease him about it, but he did introduce me and I managed not to come off as a complete idiot. I tried my best to just be myself and give my honest opinions and above all else tried to make her laugh. Ned offhandedly said, "I think she likes you more than she likes me." Untrue I cried.

In my opinion the play just doesn't challenge Kristen enough. She needs a play that will elevated her comic skills and unfortunately this piece is lacking. I mean Gypsy Rose Lee wrote it, the lady could shake her bits but turning a phrase wasn't her strong suit. Kristen gave the dialogue some much needed CPR and made the most of it. I admire her pursuit of a play that is worthy of her time and efforts. Unfortunately something BIGGER than herself, something so farcical and grand that would make her work to find more in every bit doesn't just fall into ones lap.

She kissed the back of my program and hugged me, which really showed me how tall she is, as her boobs sort of rested on top of my head. It's the first time I understood how it would feel to be a munchkin. Later she offered to autograph it for me, but I declined, I'm not that person, "I'd rather just be your friend I remarked." As she left wishing me all the best in whatever it is that I "do", I said, "keep shaken that mad jelly you'll find the right play." She looked at me so strangely, almost puzzled as if to say, "who is this tiny person with reams of witty banter & really big glasses?" Our paths just might cross again, you never know, I could write something worth her while.....

No comments: