Monday, February 8, 2010

The Dream Apt.....

I think as a New Yorker I never take space for granted. The treehouse is a living organism that is in constant flux. Lunar rotations occur 3 times a year or more, things travel in and out living purposefully and then are set free when they have no more use. There isn't room for clutter, and when "things" start to get tight my energy starts to feel claustrophobic and I get jittery.

However, Saturday night I got to see how the other inhabitants of Manhattan live. My dear friend Kevin invited me to his birthday party where he and his girlfriend, the lovely Katie, made us all Indian food. The party was hosted by Kevin’s long time friend CB who lives down on Spring Street. After climbing the breathtaking 6 flights up (and by breathtaking I mean this baby girl could not breathe), I entered what I like to refer to as the quintessential New York City Television apartment.

Meaning for the most part the NY apts shown on TV are far smaller than their pixel reflections. This abode however stands me corrected. After a 5 year renovation CB has carved out the dream apt. a two floor multi-room palace which included an ample roof deck and two fire places. Below are a few of the pictures I took while enjoying one of the best nights I’ve had in the city in a long time.


Anthony & Julia "testing" the wrap around couch....

There was room for all 12 of us at the dining table...


and we all stood mouths gapping at the view of the Empire State building from downtown.


The only thing better than the venue was the amazing company, truly warm and friendly as old and new faces came together over stinky cheese and all the libations you cared to imbibe. CB's rallying cry, "If you have to drink beer, drink it here!!"

Above the fireplace in the living room CB has painted the wall surrounding the flat screen (which by the way was off the entire evening, score one for witty banter and intelligent guests) with chalk board paint. My farewell message was simple: Happiness is Indian food with fun friends. xoxox

2 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brian said...

I had a dream apartment once. :(