Thursday, February 18, 2010

Leaving the Matrix

I've been talking about it for awhile. Threatening to do it. Negotiating options, but finally I have come down to the nitty-gritty. If I am to reach my full potential I must sever ties with the beast, the matrix of the all consuming media tit. I am cutting the cord and going rogue. NO MORE CABLE!!!!

That's right, people I'm letting go of all the comforts of DVR, ON-Demand, & Start Over.
My name is Brandy (Brandy with a Y) Rowell and I'm a media/entertainment addict.

Now, not an addict in a tabloid, reality TV way, but in an Ovation, AMC, TCM, IFC, Sundance, Starz Network, FX, USA, Syfy, HBO, SHOWTIME kinda way. There is some amazing programming out there and I have found ALL of it. Leaving me little time to craft comedy, finish scripts or frankly read. I started doing a joke that I don't read and Oprah can't make me. But the real truth is I love to read, only the talking box with the pretty lights is TOO much for me and my MTV attention span. Books just don't have the jazz hands they used to and frankly neither do I.

So I am conducting an experiment of sorts. On Feb 26th I am returning all my Time Warner equipment, breaking free of my fiber optic bondage and kicking my $174 a month habit cold turkey. Let's see if my career gets a boost and my brain reengages with actual life.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow! You pay $179 a month on cable!?!

Brandy w/a Y said...

well $174, and I'm not proud of it...

Anonymous said...

wow! you pay $174 month for cable!?!

Anonymous said...

I'm really interested to see how this turns out, I was thinking of doing the same thing, but only going so far as going down to basic channels, you know there ain't no antenna service no more... but you can get everything on hulu.